About The Cricketers
The current site of the Cricketers PH was the site of a much older building. Evidence suggests that the earlier dwelling was owned by John Monk who left it in his will of 1756 to his son in law, Ayling Shepherd.
In 1848 the property, together with the adjacent premises to the north, was acquired by Thomas Gibbard who, in the 1851 census was described as a carpenter by trade from Westerham, Kent.
In 1851 Thomas Gibbard had a lodger, Thomas Luff, who was described as a visitor from kirdford in Sussex and a coach wheeler by trade. It appears that by 1853 Thomas Luff was the new owner of the property, for on 31st August 1853 it was Annual Licence Day at the petty session and Thomas Luff, Brewer, of Broadwater applied for a spirit licence for the house now used by him as a beer house. The application was refused, opposing him was Mr Edward Goodyer of the Malsters Arms who was also representing the local rector, parish officers and principal members of the village.
To understand the significance of the above it is useful to picture the drinking habits during this period. The Beer House Act of 1830 allowed any householder, who was assessed to pay the "poor rate", to sell beer from his house on payment of two guineas. Many of the early 18th Century publicans started selling beer from their houses which resulted in heavy drinking. By the 1850's the heavy drinking of early Georgian times was being discouraged, so maybe Mr Goodyer's opposition to Thomas Luff's application for a spirit licence was for moral reasons although one cannot rule out the possibility that it might have meant competition to his own establishment just down the road.